Tilsley House 01934 419 300 Earlfield Lodge 01934 417 934


1. What are your arrangements to deal with Covid-19?

Click on this link for our Covid arrangements

2. What are your staffing arrangements?

Team levels in our homes are based on the assessed care and support needs of the residents living in the home. This assessment includes not only each resident's physical needs but also the support they need to meet their emotional, psychological and social needs.

3. My mother is looking for residential care - will she have to sell her home to pay for her care?

If your mother has capital of over £23,250 she will not qualify for assistance from the Local Authority until such a time as her capital is below this amount. Any private care fees will therefore have to be met from existing capital and income. (If she has assets below £23,250, she would get increasing help on a sliding scale down to the lower limit of £14,250, where no contribution is needed).

Most savings and assets are included in a means test, but some confusion has surrounded the subject of whether or not a person’s home is included. To help clarify the situation, a person’s home is not included in the means test if:

The above is some information as a general guide but for more specific information contact the Finance team at North Somerset council.

4. Will their Council Tax be reduced while we sell the home?

No. Council Tax is payable on properties left unoccupied by people who have moved to receive personal care, whether in a hospital, care home or elsewhere. Generally speaking, the residents of care homes or those whose main home is a hospital do not have to pay Council Tax.

5. What if we want a higher quality care home or a nicer room in a care home?

You can choose a care home that is more expensive than your local council usually pays for a person with your assessed needs, but you may need to find a way to pay the difference.

If the council can suggest a place that meets your needs and you still want to move into a more expensive care home then they can ask a third party (usually a relative or friend) to pay the extra. This is called a ‘top-up fee’. You are not able to pay this yourself as you have been financially assessed to pay what you can afford.

If your local council cannot suggest a place that meets your needs in your local area then they should be prepared to pay more than their usual amount.

6. Are there any upfront fees?

We do not charge any administration or management fees. Residents who are paying for their own care are required to pay a deposit equal to 4 week’s fees prior to the resident moving in. This deposit may be used towards payment of sums owed by the resident (or other payer) at the point of termination of the contract for unpaid fees, damage to the home and any other final fees at the end of the termination period.

Any balance not used in respect of the above will be returned to the appropriate person as settlement of the final account. For further information, please speak to a member of our team.

7. Where can I find more information?

You can find out more information at the following webistes: